Skip to main content

Blogging Take 3

I pondered for a long time what to call this post. I've been off the blogging radar since the beginning of May. I have gone through so much...yet at the same time, I haven't.

I pondered many titles for this post, one of which was "Clinging to Hope," which I then decided was a rejected campaign slogan of Obama.

I'm in a GIANT holding pattern....I'm waiting to take off at the Atlanta Airport, and there's fog....OR...I'm in a giant hallway with a million doors and as I start to walk through an open door, the door slams in my face...OR...

I have lots of time to ponder metaphors to explain life right now...All of them have some form of truth to them.

There are days when the frustration of where I am in life is oppressive, like yesterday and today. Then the Holy Spirit starts to work in ways that I will never completely understand. People just show up. These are people who love me unconditionally and let's be honest, I don't deserve them at all. I am blessed to be surrounded by MANY friends and colleagues who love me for who I am. They SUPPORT my strange gifts and qualities, and tell me that I will find a place and that I am smart and talented. They catch me when I'm falling into my dark place (as Grey's Anatomy puts it).

Right now, I'm learning that falling isn't as hard as it seems, and that there are a great number of people who are willing to catch me, and I'm blessed, honored and humbled by them. That and patience at so many levels...But that's another post for another day.

I decided that I'm going to blog about books and articles that I've read recently. Right now, I'm reading Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman and an To the Tune of a Welcoming God by David Weiss. Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott is in the cue, along with Life Together by Bonhoeffer. (Now that I look through that list, I do think I'm crazy.....)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anita's Cheerleaders Part Deux

So, I'm going through some serious transition times.  Yes, it hasn't and won't be easy. I am thankful that I have awesome friends who are super supportive.  And I am going to need some support along the way.  I want to get back into running.  I just did the Color Run .  (I highly suggest that you do this sometime in your life.)  My friend Laura Kay did this with me, and we did it in 53 minutes, which is a really good time for me.  I just figured out the start to a book that a professor suggested I write.  I want to get back to writing.   So, what am I asking for?  I'm asking for cheerleaders once again.  It doesn't matter where you live.  I just need folks to cheer me on and keep me on track.  I need to remember that I have support from all over the world.   So here's the job description...Weeks begin November 4.  The last week begins December 30.  So, friends, pick a week, and let's do this.   ...

10 Things this Youth Minister Wants You to Know.

So, every couple of months, a listicle from varying authors appears on my Facebook news feed. Most recently it appeared as this one . Many times this listicle speaks from the perspective as someone who is ordained/clergy. I have worked in churches or parachurch organizations for the past 16 years, and I am not clergy. There is a lot of crossover, but there are also differences as well. I thought about it, and I wrote my own listicle.  (Fun Fact: Spell Check recognizes listicle as a real word.)  1. Yes, this is my real job, and no, I am not called to be a pastor.  There are many folks who work in youth ministry as lay staff, who go on to seminary to become pastors. There are also many of us who are called to being a lay minister. I am not called to ordained ministry. I do see my position as a Youth Minister as a calling. I went to seminary with no intention of ever being a pastor.   2. The church is changing.  Just like every field, the church has chan...

Stories from the Woods

Spring is springing here at camp!  It's beautiful.  Everything is becoming green again.  It's been raining a lot, which has been desperately needed. Apparently, this spring, I am obsessed with birds hatching.  I have watched the Decorah Eagle Cam at least once a day, to see how the eaglets are doing. BUT, close to home, there is goose nest down at the lake.  Mom and Dad are both at the nest.  At last check there were three eggs in the nest.  (My estimation: The eggs should hatch at the end of April.)  It's super stressful to be watching this whole process.  A couple nights ago, around 10 pm, I was walking Jack before bed, and I heard the geese honking up a storm.  I got super worried.  I tried to get Jack to bark, but he wouldn't cooperate. I wish I could put a webcam up similar to the Eagle cam.  I also learned that geese lose their flight feathers when they nest, so they can't escape a predator.  I hav...