Skip to main content

One whole lot of movies...

I just watched all five Best Picture Nominees back to back at the AMC in Roseville.

I'm surprisingly emotionally drained.

I realize that I really can't talk much about the individual movies. The spoiler alert statute of limitations is not up yet.
However, I think I can write about the experience without revealing too many plot points.

So, the order of the films were:
Michael Clayton
There will be blood
Atonement
Juno
No Country For Old Men

Midway through the movie marathon, we started saying that the films were so different. Each one had it's own flavor.
Then again, maybe the movies were more similar....

Michael Clayton deals with corporate corruption. There will be blood...I still can't quite tell you what I was supposed to get out of it. The movie deals with the rising (and falling?) of an oil prospector and his family and associates. Atonement deals with the effects of a lie on family and friends. Juno deals with a teen pregnancy and how the family deals with the situation. No Country for Old Men deals with drug dealing, greed, and honest law enforcement.

Now, how are all of these movies similar?
Each movie deals with the messiness of life. There is corruption, deceit, pregnancy, drug dealing, greed and weird relationships in our lives. Unfortunately, we do not live in a Disney fairytale. (Sad, considering I want to walk into a room with a full production number in progress...) As over the top as some of these films are, they began to encapsulate real life.

Also, the movies were similar in how they ended. Other than Juno, each movie did not end with all of the loose ends tied up. Even Juno, things were "relatively" tied up, but the future was not "perfect." As much as I wish life was sometimes that simple, we leave situations and places with loose ends and more questions.

As for my Oscar pics?

My favorite is Juno, but I think There will be blood will win. I still want Juno to win. Badly.
Note: I wanted Little Miss Sunshine to win last year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things this Youth Minister Wants You to Know.

So, every couple of months, a listicle from varying authors appears on my Facebook news feed. Most recently it appeared as this one . Many times this listicle speaks from the perspective as someone who is ordained/clergy. I have worked in churches or parachurch organizations for the past 16 years, and I am not clergy. There is a lot of crossover, but there are also differences as well. I thought about it, and I wrote my own listicle.  (Fun Fact: Spell Check recognizes listicle as a real word.)  1. Yes, this is my real job, and no, I am not called to be a pastor.  There are many folks who work in youth ministry as lay staff, who go on to seminary to become pastors. There are also many of us who are called to being a lay minister. I am not called to ordained ministry. I do see my position as a Youth Minister as a calling. I went to seminary with no intention of ever being a pastor.   2. The church is changing.  Just like every field, the church has changed drastically since I start

God and Dog

Click to Play This is a video I made for class.  It's a draft, and it's a start. Please let me know what you think and what I should add.  

Anita's Cheerleaders Part Deux

So, I'm going through some serious transition times.  Yes, it hasn't and won't be easy. I am thankful that I have awesome friends who are super supportive.  And I am going to need some support along the way.  I want to get back into running.  I just did the Color Run .  (I highly suggest that you do this sometime in your life.)  My friend Laura Kay did this with me, and we did it in 53 minutes, which is a really good time for me.  I just figured out the start to a book that a professor suggested I write.  I want to get back to writing.   So, what am I asking for?  I'm asking for cheerleaders once again.  It doesn't matter where you live.  I just need folks to cheer me on and keep me on track.  I need to remember that I have support from all over the world.   So here's the job description...Weeks begin November 4.  The last week begins December 30.  So, friends, pick a week, and let's do this.   Job Title: Anita’s Cheerleader Classification: Sea