Skip to main content

Awesomeness

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."  Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

I have been saying for a couple years that I wanted to start running, and actually run a 5K.  Because of what has been going on, now seems like a good time to start training for it.  So, guess what...2010 is the year!  Training for a 5K doesn't allow me to keep some of the really bad habits I've picked up since arriving in Baltimore.  It gets me up and moving.  So, what does this mean for you dear reader...I need you to keep me honest.  I'm going to need words of support when I don't want to keep going.  Many of you are runners as well, and know more than I do, so I will need questions answered when they arise.  And in general, I need you to be awesome.  Because, well, you are.  Honestly, I need me to be awesome, too.
 
The last time I saw the inside of a gym was while I was still in Minnesota!  So, the plan I have set up is a modified plan from Running Planet.  My January schedule is kinda crazy, and if I'm going to do this, I need to take that into account.  I'm trying to set myself up for success.  There are 2 5Ks that I am considering...The Shamrock 5K in March, the Baltimore Womens Classic in June.  The one in March might be too soon, but I've also been told that it's a good first race.  There is a local training group for the Shamrock one, so it sounds like there is a ton of support for me as well.  

With that being said, Sunday was supposed to be day #1. Church today was rough today, and I came home exhausted. I sat down on the couch, and the next thing I knew it was 7:45 pm.  I went over to the gym, and it was closed for the day.  Note to self: Find out the hours for the gym.  So, instead, I walked around the neighborhood and got my heart rate up for about 15 minutes.  I didn't stay out too long, because the creepy neighbor was being creepy. So, tomorrow will be the official day #1. 


The plan for the week:
1/4 - Walk for 30 minutes at a comfortable pace. Since this is your first workout, take it nice and easy. Walk at a pace that gets your heart rate up and makes you breath heavier than normal, but you should not be out of breath.
1/5 - Walk for 30 minutes at a comfortable pace. Same workout as yesterday.
1/6 - Walk/Jog for 30 minutes. Walk for 5 minutes and then jog for 30 seconds. Follow that sequence for the entire workout. This is your first taste of running. Do not run for more than 30 seconds at a time. Run at a pace that is fairly comfortable.
1/7 - Rest. Let your body recover from its first encounter with running.
1/8 - Walk/Jog for 30 minutes. Walk for 5 minutes and jog for 30 seconds. This is the same workout as Thursday. Keep your pace comfortable.
1/9 - Walk/Jog for 30 minutes. You make a slight increase in the jogging interval here. Walk for 5 minutes and jog for 1 minute. You will start making consistent increases in the time of your running intervals.
1/10 - Rest. 

My plan is to blog at least once a week about progress and mileage.  Maybe more if something interesting happens.  The journey officially begins tomorrow. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and Dog

Click to Play This is a video I made for class.  It's a draft, and it's a start. Please let me know what you think and what I should add.  

10 Things this Youth Minister Wants You to Know.

So, every couple of months, a listicle from varying authors appears on my Facebook news feed. Most recently it appeared as this one . Many times this listicle speaks from the perspective as someone who is ordained/clergy. I have worked in churches or parachurch organizations for the past 16 years, and I am not clergy. There is a lot of crossover, but there are also differences as well. I thought about it, and I wrote my own listicle.  (Fun Fact: Spell Check recognizes listicle as a real word.)  1. Yes, this is my real job, and no, I am not called to be a pastor.  There are many folks who work in youth ministry as lay staff, who go on to seminary to become pastors. There are also many of us who are called to being a lay minister. I am not called to ordained ministry. I do see my position as a Youth Minister as a calling. I went to seminary with no intention of ever being a pastor.   2. The church is changing.  Just like every field, the church has changed drastically since I start

Caffination!

I find myself in need of caffeine. A lot. Surprisingly, some blogs I read have made mention of caffeine. For anyone in need of caffeine resources, here you go. The Caffeine Database Better ways to use caffeine Yep, this is where I am now. I don't want to think about how much caffeine is in my system. It's been awhile since I've worked full time in a congregation. This time of year is where I remember self-care. How do we work in congregations and take care of ourselves? I usually swing toward too much self care or no self care. I've never found that balance. How or what are your ideas for self care? What do you do for self care?